Amp up this simple and super refreshing snack with just a couple thangs and 30 minutes of waiting time... which is super important- more below.
- 2 lbs Strawberries, washed, dried and quartered
- 6 oz container of Blueberries, washed and dried
- 6 oz container of Blackberries, washed and dried
- 6 oz container of Raspberries, washed and dried
- 1 bunch of Mint, leaves only, chopped finely
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 3 tablespoons Sugar (I like to use minimally processed pure cane sugar)
- Juice of half a Lemon
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
In a large bowl - preferably glass or plastic bowl because we want a non-reactive container (more on that in a sec), combine all the washed and dried berries, mint and lemon zest. Sprinkle the sugar on top and toss to evenly distribute the mint, zest and sugar throughout the berries.
Juice the lemon over the bowl and give it another toss. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. The combination of lemon juice (an acid), the strawberries (also acidic) and the sugar will macerate the berries (break them down ever so slightly), which creates an amazing syrup from all the fruit juices. We use a glass or plastic bowl because it doesn’t react with the acidity of the lemon like a metal bowl would, which affects the taste when acidic foods are sitting in metal for a length of time.
After 30 minutes, give it another toss and serve it up with whipped cream! Let me know how you like it! Enjoy! ☁️🫐